Beef Stew with carrots & potatoes:
- ▢2 pounds roast beef, cut into 2-inch pieces, no excess fat
- ▢1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ▢½ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- ▢2 tablespoons all-purpose flour Use gluten-free flour or whole wheat if containing gluten-free
- ▢2 Tablespoon olive oil
- ▢½ yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- ▢4 garlic cloves, chopped
- ▢1 large or two small to medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- ▢2 Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 2 1-inch pieces large pieces
- ▢ 2 cups beef broth
- ▢ ¼ cup tomato paste
- ▢ 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ▢ 1 bay leaf
- ▢ 2 teaspoons thyme leaves, let cool for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 100°C.
- Season the beef pieces on all sides with salt and pepper. Dust with flour and coat the seasoned meat on all sides.
- Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Fry the meat in batches on all sides for 3-4 minutes per portion. At this point, don’t worry about all the meat being cooked.Transfer the fried meat to a plate and set aside.
- Add the onion, garlic and carrot to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, beef broth, tomato paste, bay leaf, thyme, and Worcestershire sauce, using a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Bring the mixture to the boil while stirring and return the meat to the pan. Cover the pot and place it in the preheated oven.
- Cook the stew for 2-2 minutes.5 hours or until the meat is very tender. Remove bay leaf.
- Taste the stew and season with additional salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve hot.
for more recipes click here