Slow cooker chicken and dumplings is a comforting dish that’s perfect for a cozy meal. Here’s a simple recipe:
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup frozen peas (optional)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or half-and-half (optional)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup milk
- Prepare the Chicken Stew: In the slow cooker, combine the chicken pieces, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, chicken broth, dried thyme, dried parsley, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Cook on low heat for 6-7 hours or on high heat for 3-4 hours, until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender.
- About 30 minutes before serving, if using, add the frozen peas and heavy cream or half-and-half to the slow cooker. Stir to incorporate.
- Prepare the Dumplings: In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the melted butter and milk, stirring until just combined. The dough should be slightly sticky.
- Drop spoonfuls of the dumpling mixture onto the surface of the hot chicken stew in the slow cooker. Cover and continue cooking for an additional 30-40 minutes, or until the dumplings are cooked through. Keep the lid on during this time to allow the dumplings to steam and cook properly.
- Once the dumplings are cooked, gently stir the stew and dumplings together before serving.
This slow cooker chicken and dumplings recipe results in a comforting and hearty meal. The dumplings cook up light and fluffy, soaking in all the delicious flavors of the stew.
FOR MORE RECIPES CLICK HER