Classic German Chocolate Cake
For the cake:
- 4 oz. German sweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 1/3 cups cake flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup coffee or water
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 large eggs, room temperature, separately
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
For the glaze:
- 1 3/4 cup coconut flakes (sweetened or unsweetened)
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line 2-3 8-9 inch round cake pans (depending on the thickness of the cake layers) with parchment paper.
- Butter and flour the lined tins and set aside.
- Place a heatproof bowl over a pan of boiling water in a water bath and melt the chocolate until smooth.
- Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl or mixer until light and fluffy. 3-4 minutes.
- Add the egg yolks one at a time (wait until each is well mixed and then add the next), then add the melted chocolate and vanilla extract.
- In another bowl, sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- Alternately add flour, buttermilk and coffee to the dough, starting and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Beat the egg whites in a small bowl until stiff. Fold 1/4 of the egg white into the dough, then add the remaining egg white until smooth.
- Pour the dough evenly into the prepared tins and bake. Bake for 25 to 28 minutes, rotating halfway through, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and springs back.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
For the glaze: Combine sugar, condensed milk, egg yolks, butter and salt in a medium saucepan over low heat and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick and golden brown.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and add the pecans, coconut and vanilla extract.
- Allow to cool until you can spread it in a thick layer on the cake. Brush the cake with icing (leaving the sides uncovered), arrange in layers and serve at room temperature. Recognize!
for more recipes clickhere