For the Pancake Batter:
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Butter or vegetable oil for greasing the griddle
Step 1: Prepare the Dry Ingredients
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Ensure that the dry ingredients are well combined.
Step 2: Mix the Wet Ingredients
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, whole milk, large egg, melted unsalted butter, and vanilla extract.
Step 3: Combine Wet and Dry Ingredients
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients.
- Stir gently until just combined. Be careful not to overmix; a few lumps in the batter are okay.
Step 4: Preheat the Griddle
- Preheat a griddle or non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Grease it lightly with butter or vegetable oil.
Step 5: Cook the Pancakes
- Pour 1/4 cup of the pancake batter onto the hot griddle for each pancake.
- Cook until bubbles form on the surface and the edges look slightly set, usually about 2-3 minutes.
- Flip the pancakes using a spatula and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes on the other side, or until they are golden brown and cooked through.
Step 6: Keep Warm and Serve
- Transfer the cooked pancakes to a plate and cover them with a clean kitchen towel to keep them warm while you cook the remaining pancakes.
Tips and Variations:
- Blueberry Pancakes: Add fresh or frozen blueberries to the batter just before cooking for a fruity twist.
- Chocolate Chip Pancakes: Sprinkle chocolate chips onto the pancakes as they cook for a sweet and indulgent treat.
- Whole Wheat Pancakes: Substitute half or all of the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour for a heartier and nuttier flavor.
- Banana Pancakes: Mash a ripe banana and add it to the batter for a naturally sweet and moist pancake.
- Maple Syrup: Serve with pure maple syrup and a pat of butter for the classic pancake experience.
- Crispy Bacon: Pair your pancakes with crispy bacon or sausage links for a savory-sweet combination.
Old-fashioned pancakes are a cherished breakfast tradition that brings comfort and satisfaction to the table. With their simple ingredients and classic preparation, they offer a taste of nostalgia for many. Whether enjoyed on a leisurely weekend morning or as a special treat, these pancakes are a timeless favorite that can be personalized to suit your tastes. So, fire up the griddle and flip a batch of these golden-brown delights to start your day on a delicious note.