Chocolate chip cheesecake bars, like many desserts, can be delicious treats, but they are not typically considered as health foods. However, they do offer some nutritional benefits and can be enjoyed in moderation as part of a balanced diet. Here are some potential health and nutritional benefits of chocolate chip cheesecake bars:
1. Source of Calcium: Cheesecake contains cream cheese, which is a dairy product high in calcium. Calcium is essential for maintaining strong bones and teeth.
2. Protein: Cream cheese is also a source of protein, which is important for various bodily functions, including muscle repair and growth.
3. Antioxidants: Dark chocolate chips used in the recipe may contain antioxidants, such as flavonoids. Antioxidants can help protect the body against oxidative stress and inflammation.
4. Mood Booster: Chocolate, in general, can have mood-enhancing effects due to the presence of certain compounds like phenylethylamine and serotonin.
While these benefits exist, it’s crucial to note that chocolate chip cheesecake bars are typically high in sugar, saturated fats, and calories. They may also contain refined carbohydrates, which can lead to spikes in blood sugar levels. Overconsumption of these bars can contribute to weight gain and other health issues, such as an increased risk of heart disease and diabetes.
To enjoy chocolate chip cheesecake bars more healthfully:
1. Portion control: Limit your serving size to a small piece to reduce calorie intake.
2. Balance your diet: Ensure you’re consuming a variety of nutrient-dense foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats.
3. Occasional treat: Consider them as an occasional indulgence rather than a regular part of your diet.
4. Make healthier swaps: Explore recipes that use lower-fat cream cheese, natural sweeteners, and dark chocolate with a higher cocoa content.
Remember, moderation is key, and it’s essential to strike a balance between enjoying treats and maintaining a nutritious diet for overall health and well-being. If you have specific dietary concerns or health conditions, it’s best to consult with a registered dietitian or healthcare professional for personalized advice.
CHOCOLATE CHIP CHEESECAKE BARS
Chocolate chip cookies or cheesecake? Why choose when you can have these Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars!! They are the best of both worlds! Life is full of decisions … decisions like, should I get up and exercise or sleep an extra hour? Chicken tacos or beef tacos? You know, important stuff!
When it comes to dessert, I don’t want to choose. I’m sure you don’t want to either! With these Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars, you don’t have to choose – you get the best of both worlds! Chocolate chip cookies AND cheesecake … you’re welcome! ?
1 tube (16.5 oz.) refrigerated chocolate chip cookie dough (or 2 cups of homemade cookie dough)
1 pkg. (8 oz.) Challenge cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan or line with parchment paper. Set aside.
Divide the cookie dough in half. To make the crust, press half of the dough into the bottom prepared baking pan.
In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar and egg until the mixture is smooth. Spread over the crust. Crumble the remaining cookie dough over the top.
Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center tests clean.
Cool completely on a wire rack. Refrigerate any leftovers.