There’s something about roasted sweet potato this time of year that I love the most! I’ll add it to salads, eat them plain or have alongside protein for a meal at dinner. This sweet potato chickpea salad is not only a great balance of protein, fat and carbs but it makes for a delicious salad to have ready for the week. The maple tahini sauce adds a creamy touch that you’re going to love with this combo!
Sweet Potato Chickpea Salad with Maple Tahini Dressing
You know those salads that you can just keep eating and eating and never get sick of? That’s what this Sweet Potato Chickpea Salad is for me. It is so good! And perfect thing to prep for the week. The Tahini Maple Dressing adds a delicious flavor that is creamy with a touch of sweetness too.
I love that both of these can be prepped and stored in the fridge for a convenient meal to have on hand for the week. Pair this with a protein for lunch or serve alongside your weeknight dinner. I’m sure everyone will love it! If you’ve been skeptical about tahini and whether or not you like it, I think you will like this dressing! I was unsure of how I felt about tahini for a while, but after combining it with some of these ingredeints and using it as a dressing for a couple recipes on One Balanced Life, I’m officially sold on it.
What you need for Sweet Potato Chickpea Salad:
- Large sweet potato
- Chickpeas, canned
- Cooked farro
- Unsalted toasted almonds
- Crumbled Goat cheese
What you need for Maple Tahini Dressing:
- Maple syrup
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Sea salt
- Garlic powder
The tahini sauce thickens easily! If you don’t plan to fix the salad for the day-of, I recommend keeping the sauce prepared and mixing with the sweet potato chickpea mixture on the day you want to eat it. You will want to continually add water to the tahini maple sauce too. I recommend mixing the sauce completely with the sweet potato chickpea salad if fixing for a gathering. You can also assemble this salad with all the ingredients and then serve the maple tahini dressing to the side to top!
It’s best to wait for the sweet potato to cool down before mixing with other ingredients, especially the goat cheese!
Best way to store this salad:
Keeping this salad in sealed containers will keep it fresh for a couple of days and stored in the fridge! I’ll use these for easy storage in the fridge. I recommend keeping the tahini sauce in the dressing mixer in a container or in a smaller jar.
Do I roast the sweet potato?
Yes! The sweet potato should always be roasted before making this salad. I always roast mine with a little avocado oil spray, sea salt and garlic powder for quick cooking!
How long will this salad last?
You’ll want to keep this salad in the fridge. As I mentioned above, I recommend keeping the dressing off the salad until the day that you want to eat it to keep it longer as the tahini sauce will thicken. The sweet potato chickpea mix will stay for up to 3-4 days. Add water to the tahini maple dressing as needed.
If you like this salad, try these on One Balanced Life:
Want more easy lunch ideas? Try these!
Meal prep tip:
- If you’re making this to meal prep for the week, it’s best to leave the maple tahini dressing off of it and mix in when you’re ready to enjoy it.
- You’ll want to cook more farro if you’re making this into more than 2 meals. I usually put 1/2 cup farro into each meal prep container.
- Add additional slivered almonds and goat cheese to meal prep.
- 1 large sweet potato (3 cups chopped)
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and “shell” removed
- 1 cup arugula
- 1 cup cooked farro
- 1/4 cup goat cheese crumbled
- 1/4 cup unsalted toasted almonds
- For the maple tahini sauce:
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 tbsp maple syrup + 1 tsp
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 sea salt
- 1/4 garlic powder
- dash of pepper
- 3 tbsp water (+ more for desired consistency)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Chop up sweet potato into smaller pieces and place on baking sheet. Top with avocado oil spray, sea salt and a little pepper. Bake for 35-40 minutes (flipping around half way)
- Drain and rinse chickpeas. Remove “shell” from chickpeas.
- Prepare maple tahini dressing by combining all ingredients and mixing. You will want to add enough water so it becomes a liquid consistency.
- nIn large bowl, combine roasted sweet potato (cooled down), chickpeas, toasted almonds, arugula and goat cheese. Add maple tahini dressing to mix if serving and eating the day of. If not, add dressing for desired amount. E
until next time…