If you’re looking for a new addition to your breakfast rotation, you have to try this Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash. This is made with simple ingredients and perfect to have as a balanced breakfast to start the day with.
This is a meal that I would never get sick of! This breakfast hash is filled with flavor and made with just a few simple ingredients. It’s packed with protein with the fried egg on top and a healthy mix of carbohydrates, protein and fat to start your day off with. Make this when you want to switch up your breakfast routine. It’s so delicious with a fried egg or scrambled eggs on top!
What you need for Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash:
- Sweet Potato
- Red Onion
- Shredded Kale
- Garlic Powder
- Chili Powder
- Black Pepper
- Avocado Oil Spray
How to make this breakfast hash:
- Start by chopping the sweet potato. You want to make sure the sweet potato chunks aren’t too big since you will be cooking them on the cast iron skillet.
- Cook bacon according to package. Chop up into pieces.
- Add olive oil or avocado oil spray to your skillet. Add the sweet potato and top with avocado oil spray. Place a top on the skillet to allow the sweet potato to really cook through.
- Mix together seasonings and add to sweet potato, reserving some for additional ingredients.
- Once sweet potato is fork tender, add red onion, chopped bacon and kale to wilt. Add additional seasonings and mix.
- Cook a fried egg or however you like to fix your eggs!
- Top hash with green onion and cilantro.
How to store your sweet potato hash:
It’s best to store your sweet potato hash in a sealed container in the fridge. I like using these for meal prep! If you just want containers for meal prep then, I like these.
If you want to switch this up, try these options:
- Switch up the way you make your eggs! Scrambled, fried, poached or hardboiled are a few options that would be great on top!
- Add a drizzle of hot sauce or your favorite sauce.
- Make this for meal prep and put it in your meal prep containers.
If you like this recipe, you’ll also enjoy these on One Balanced Life:
Can I meal prep this for the week?
Yes! You can meal prep the sweet potato hash if you want to have this for breakfast for the week. I like using these containers for storage in the fridge!
What if I don’t have a cast iron skillet?
While I do think the sweet potato cooks best when sauteed in the cast iron skillet, you can also cook this in a non-stick pan.
Save and Pin for later!
Make sure to save and pin this recipe for later! Are you following me on Pinterest yet? You can also follow me on Instagram & Facebook, and make sure to leave a star rating and tag me if you make this recipe! xx
Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash
This Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash is perfect for a healthy breakfast or brunch and made with a few simple ingredients. Serve this with a fried egg, scrambled eggs or a poached!
- 1 sweet potato, chopped into pieces
- 1 egg
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 cup shredded kale
- 6 pieces bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp green onion
- 1 tbsp cilantro
- Avocado Oil Spray
- Chop up sweet potato into small pieces.
- Heat up cast iron skillet with oil. Add sweet potato to the skillet. Place a top on the skillet to allow it to cook through.
- Mix together seasonings in a small bowl. Add on top of the sweet potato, reserving some for the remaining ingredients.
- Cook bacon according to package. Chop into pieces.
- Once sweet potato is fork tender, add red onion, chopped bacon and kale to wilt.
- Add remaining spices. Mix to combine.
- Top hash with cilantro and green onion.
- Cook fried egg in non stick pan. Add on top of hash.
- Add avocado if you’d like!
Adjust eggs to however many you want to eat!
I like using avocado oil spray when making this–I find it easier for the sweet potato to cook through.
until next time…