When it comes to easy meals during the week, one way to simplify that is by preparing a big batch of shredded chicken to have for meals during the week. That’s what I did when I made this Shredded Harissa Chicken Bowl and it was a delicious, easy meal. Shredded crockpot chicken makes for a great meal prep for the week and an easy protein to have for meals!
You know those days where you’re running around and wish you had something already prepped and ready? That’s one reason why prepping this shredded harissa chicken is perfect for meal prep for the week. Not only can you assemble these bowls easily, but you can make a variety of different meals just by having one main ingredient prepped!
Have you checked out my blog post on simple ways you can use shredded chicken during the week? If you haven’t, it may be helpful in planning out your meals during the week. Read more here!
What you need for Shredded Harissa Chicken Bowl:
- Chicken Breast: I typically use 1lb of chicken breast in the crockpot! All you need to do is add the chicken, chicken broth and harissa sauce to cook.
- Harissa: I like to use the jar of Mild Mina Harissa for this recipe!
- Brown Rice: While I love brown rice in bowls like this, you can also switch this up for another grain like quinoa or farro. Or try cauliflower rice if you prefer that instead!
- Cucumber: If you want to simplify the process in making these bowls, try chopping up all of your veggies, like the cucumber at the beginning of the week.
- Tomato: I used the tomato in a quick and easy cucumber and tomato salad to top on this bowl.
- Feta Cheese: While I love the crumbled feta cheese in this recipe, you can also leave it off if you want to make this dairy free.
- Hummus: Use your favorite store bought hummus in this recipe to make it easy! There are many that I love from Trader Joe’s.
- Tzatziki: I also used a store bought vegan tzatziki that I got from Trader Joe’s but you can also make your own!
- Pickled Onions: One of my favorite things to add to bowls are pickled onions. These are so easy to prep at the beginning of the week.
- Lemon: adding fresh lemon to the bowl adds a light touch that’s perfect for these bowls.
- Olive Oil: A good quality olive oil is great to use as a light drizzle on top of these bowls, but it’s also used to make the quick cucumber and tomato salad.
- Chicken Broth: All you need is a little bit of chicken broth to add to the crockpot with the harissa. This helps add some moisture to the chicken while it’s cooking.
- Sea salt, pepper, garlic powder.
How do I make the shredded harissa chicken?
You can easily make this in the crockpot! Just place your 2 chicken breasts (1lb), 1/2 cup chicken broth and 1 jar of Mina Harissa in the crockpot for 4+ hours on high heat until you can shred it with a fork.
How do I make pickled onions?
Pickled onions add the best flavor to everything, but especially to this burger bowl! Start by chopping up the red onion in half and then into some thin “C” slices. Set aside to make the brine. Take 6oz of water and set to a boil on the stove. Put in 1 tbsp salt with 1 tbsp white sugar into the mason jar with red onion. Pour in the boiled water and then fill the rest of the jar with white vinegar. Place lid on mason jar and give it a spin to let onions soak it up. Store in the fridge for the week!
Can I meal prep this bowl?
Yes! One thing that I love about these Shredded Harissa Chicken Bowls are how easy they are to prep for the week. I recommend doing a component prep for these. So you prepare a few ingredients to easily assemble them when you want. I would prep the shredded harissa chicken, chop up the romaine lettuce, make the pickled onions and chop up the remaining ingredients like the cucumber and tomato.
How I store leftover ingredients:
I recommend storing any leftovers in sealed containers in the fridge! With this bowl, I will store the ingredients separately and pull them all out of the fridge when I want to assemble a bowl. I like these containers for easy prep and storage.
Other ways to use your shredded harissa chicken:
- Try it in a pita or wrap!
- Put it in a baked sweet potato.
- Place it in a taco!
What I used to make this Shredded Harissa Chicken Bowl:
- While the recipe below will be for one Shredded Harissa Chicken Bowl (minus the shredded harissa chicken), I recommend preparing larger amounts of each ingredient so you can use it to assemble a few of these bowls during the week.
If you like this recipe, you may enjoy these on One Balanced Life:
Save and Pin for later!
Make sure to save and pin this recipe for later! Are you following me on Pinterest yet? You can also follow me on Instagram & Facebook, and make sure to leave a star rating and tag me if you make this recipe! xx
- 1lb chicken breasts
- 1 jar (10oz) Mild Mina Harissa Sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 small head of romaine lettuce
- 1/4 cup pickled onions
- 1/3 cup brown rice
- 1 tbsp hummus
- 1 tbsp tzatziki
- 1 tbsp crumbled feta cheese
- 1/3 cup cherry tomato, chopped
- 1/3 cup cucumber, chopped
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Prepare shredded harissa chicken by placing chicken breasts, chicken broth and harissa sauce in the crockpot for 4+ hrs until you can shred it with a fork.
- Prepare brown rice according to package.
- Prepare cucumber tomato salad by mixing chopped tomato, cucumber, olive oil, sea salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Assemble bowl with chopped romaine, brown rice, cucumber and tomato salad, pickled onions, crumbled feta cheese, shredded harissa chicken, hummus and tzatziki.
- Finish off with juice of 1/2 lemon and a drizzle of olive oil (optional).
The shredded harissa chicken will make enough for more than 1 serving.
The remaining ingredients would need to be adjusted if serving for more than 1.
I used microwavable brown rice here, but you can use whatever you’d like!
until next time…