I can’t think of a better combo than a crispy tortilla and breakfast foods. I’ve been trying to switch up breakfast lately and keep coming back to these Scrambled Egg and Bean Breakfast Tostadas! They are perfect for a weekend brunch or even a savory breakfast during the week. You can easily switch up the Breakfast Tostadas with different toppings and make your eggs however you prefer them! I did scrambled here.
I’ll be the first to admit, breakfast can get a little boring and repetitive over here! I tend to stick with the same things and then eventually get burnt out of them and have to switch to something else. That’s where these Breakfast Tostadas come in 🙂 They are the perfect thing to switch up your breakfast with during the week or for brunch on the weekend. I wouldn’t mind these with a little mimosa on the weekend.
These breakfast tostadas are a great breakfast option any time because they are filled with protein! I always aim to make sure I’m getting protein in all of my meals, especially breakfast. Eggs are a great source of protein and black beans are a great plant based protein. Protein is important to incorporate in your meals because it will help you feel satisfied longer.
Why you’ll love these tostadas:
- They are so simple to make! It may look harder than it actually is.
- Does it get any better than a crispy tortilla?! I don’t think so.
- These are filled with protein keeping you satisfied even longer.
- They can easily be switched up with whatever you have! Don’t have cojita cheese? No worries! Try cheddar cheese.
Here’s what you need to make Scrambled Egg and Bean Breakfast Tostadas:
- Corn tortilla
- Refried black beans or pinto beans (or regular black beans!)
- Cojita cheese
- Red pepper flakes
How to make Scrambled Egg and Bean Breakfast Tostadas:
- Start by getting the corn tortilla crispy by preheating the oven to 400 degrees. You want to spray a little avocado oil spray on each side of the tortilla before placing in the oven.
- Bake for 4-5 minutes on each side. Be sure to flip them half way through!
- Scramble your eggs. In order to get a soft scramble, you want to make sure the pan is on medium heat. Let it heat up for a minute or two before pouring the egg mixture in. Slowly bring the egg mix into the middle of the pan and scramble to get a fluffy egg mixture!
- Layer crispy tortilla with refried black beans and scrambled eggs.
- Top with tomatoes, cojita cheese, cilantro, red pepper flakes and avocado.
The toppings are endless when it comes to how you want to top your breakfast tostada! Here are a few other ideas:
- Sautéed peppers
- Regular black beans
- Cheddar Cheese
- Greek yogurt
- Turkey Sausage or Breakfast Sausage
How to make a crispy tostada:
The best way to make sure your tostada gets crispy is by putting it in the oven! I spray them with a little avocado oil on both sides and then bake at 400 for 4-5 minutes on each side. You can also put them on a high heat skillet with a little oil to crisp up quickly. If you do this, just make sure the pan is heated before putting the tortilla in it.
Can I use any tortilla?
I’ve only made these with corn tortillas but I have tried various brands of corn tortillas. If you try out another tortilla, let me know in the comments!
What I used in this recipe:
Non-stick pan: this is crucial in making the perfect soft scrambled egg. I love this pan and have been using it for a while!
Looking for more breakfast ideas? Try these simple recipes:
If you love these tostadas, you may also enjoy these recipes on One Balanced Life:
- BBQ Chicken Tostadas
- Shrimp Tostadas with Pineapple Salsa
- Air Fried Avocado Tacos
- Breakfast Taquitos
Save and Pin for later!
Make sure to save and pin this recipe for later! Are you following me on Pinterest yet? You can also follow me on Instagram & Facebook, and make sure to leave a star rating and tag me if you make this recipe! xx
- 2 corn tortillas
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup refried black beans
- 1-2 tbsp cojita cheese
- Optional toppings: cilantro, avocado
- Avocado oil spray or olive oil spray
- Start by preheating the oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a little avocado oil spray on each side of tortilla and place on a lined baking sheet (I like to use the silicone baking sheets)
- Bake for 8-10 minutes (flipping half way through)
- Scramble eggs by whisking 4 eggs and pouring in a heated (medium to high heat) pan. Slowly scramble in order to get fluffy scrambled eggs.
- Heat up refried black beans (I like to use the canned beans here)
- Layer in tostadas! Start with your crispy tortilla, black beans, scrambled eggs, tomatoes and cojita cheese. I also like to top it off with avocado, red pepper flakes and fresh cilantro
until next time…