This Coconut Lime Rice is so easy to make and will make any meal pop with flavor! It can be paired with so many different proteins for a complete, balanced, and insanely tasty meal.
Easy Coconut Lime Rice
This flavorful, simple coconut rice is an amazing side dish. I love it paired with grilled shrimp for a complete, balanced meal and quick weeknight dinner. This dish looks fancy, but you’ll be shocked at how easy it is to put together.
Even if you’re not the biggest fan of coconut, the flavor is subtle enough that I think you’ll enjoy this recipe. Plus, you can make it so everyone in the family enjoys it. Don’t like shrimp? Try salmon! Not in the mood for seafood? Try chicken or steak. So many ways to switch it up to make it your own!
I love that this easy coconut lime rice makes for even better leftovers too. If you have extra, heat it up the next day for a quick lunch too!
What you need:
- Jasmine Rice: I like to buy a big bag of jasmine rice at the store to use for this! It’s great to have in the pantry to pull out for an easy dish during the week. You can also use long-grain brown rice or white rice- just adjust the cooking time as needed on the package directions.
- Coconut Milk: the key in this recipe! You want to make sure you use full-fat coconut milk in the can. Light coconut milk or the coconut milk sold in cartons will not work with this recipe. I get mine at Trader Joes!
- Lime: juice of a lime and you’re good!
- Sea salt, pepper and garlic powder: a little seasonings go into the coconut lime rice but not many are needed!
- Shrimp: I like to use the frozen Argentinian shrimp from Trader Joe’s but you can use any shrimp you prefer. Remove the tail and shell if needed.
- Avocado Oil: or another light oil like light olive or canola.
Equipment used to make this recipe:
How to make coconut lime rice:
- Place a medium-sized pot on the stove and add the full-fat coconut milk. Turn the heat to high.
- Pour 1 cup jasmine rice into the pot, stir well and bring to a boil.
- Once the rice starts to boil, cover and turn the heat to simmer for 10 minutes or until rice fully cooks.
- Stir in the lime juice and seasonings.
- Set aside and serve!
Can I use any coconut milk?
No! It’s important that you use the full fat coconut milk in the can for this recipe. I haven’t tried it with any other coconut milks, but this one is what gives it so much flavor.
How do you make the grilled shrimp?
I used the Ajika Georgian Seasoning Blend from Trader Joe’s to season the shrimp. It has unbelievable flavor if you haven’t tried it! If you don’t have it, no worries, you can use a couple of different seasoning blends to mix the shrimp with. Try using a mix of chili powder, garlic powder, sea salt and pepper. Or a seafood seasoning blend like this one.
Use avocado oil on the bottom of the Staub Grill Pan and let it heat up before adding the shrimp to the pan. If you want grilled-style shrimp, use a grill pan that can be used on the stove top!
Want to use a different protein? Try these variations!
- Grilled chicken
- Baked Salmon
- Grilled steak
- Ground Pork or Beef
You can serve coconut rice with any protein, including chicken, salmon, shrimp, tofu, or steak.
Coconut rice is slightly sweet and a little nutty. The lime added helps cut down on the coconut flavor, making it a favorite even among people who don’t necessarily love coconut-flavored foods.
Once prepared, coconut rice will last up to 5 days in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
If you like this recipe, try these on One Balanced Life:
- 1 can coconut milk (full fat)
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- dash of pepper
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 9 shrimp (I used frozen Argentinian shrimp from Tjs)
- 2 tbsp Ajika Georgian seasoning blend
- optional: fresh cilantro, red pepper flakes
- Combine 1 can of coconut milk into a pot with jasmine rice. Bring to a boil.
- When it starts to boil, reduce to simmer for 10 minutes or until rice is fully cooked and soaked into the coconut milk.
- Add seasonings: salt, garlic powder and dash of pepper and juice of 1 lime. Mix together.
- Prepare shrimp by mixing with seasoning. Place on heated grill pan to cook thoroughly.
- Serve with coconut lime rice, grilled shrimp and fresh cilantro.
Amount Per Serving:
until next time…