After recently getting this salad at Sweetgreen, I knew I needed to do a Copycat Sweetgreen version of the Chicken and Brussels Salad with Cranberry Vinaigrette. Not only is this Chicken and Brussels Salad the perfect fall salad, but it’s a great option to prep and fix all week long and it’s healthy! This is one of those salads that I don’t ever get sick of. It’s great to make right now while we all have cranberry sauce sitting around for Thanksgiving. If you have some for leftovers, try adding the Cranberry Vinaigrette in addition to the Copycat Sweetgreen Chicken Brussels Salad.
Copycat Sweetgreen Chicken and Brussels Salad
You know when you go out to eat and immediately wish that you could eat it on repeat? That’s how I was when I tried the Sweetgreen Chicken and Brussels Salad with Cranberry Vinaigrette. I knew that I could easily replicate this at home so I not only was saving money by not ordering it out on Door Dash, but also was able to satisfy the craving at any time by easily making it at home.
I love that this salad also makes for a great meal prep option during the week too. If you want to prepare each of the ingredients individually then you can easily assemble when the time comes. All ingredients are great to store in the fridge.
What you need to make this salad:
- Mixed greens: any greens will work here but I love a good mixed green with this salad combo.
- Brussels Sprouts: the roasted Brussels sprouts and sweet potato make for a delicious addition to this salad! Simply roasting them in a little avocado oil spray, sea salt, pepper and garlic powder is all you need.
- Honeycrisp Apple: what’s the fall season without a honeycrisp apple? Chop this up for a little crunch and flavor for the salad.
- Sweet Potato: the combination of roasted Brussels sprouts and sweet potato is a perfect fall combo!
- Blackened chicken: this simple but flavorful way of making chicken that’s a delicious addition to any salad.
- Walnuts or Pecan Pieces: a necessary crunch to all salads and a great addition to this salad!
- Cranberry Vinaigrette: a must in recreating this Sweetgreen salad! Save this to use all week long.
What you need to make Cranberry Vinaigrette:
- Cranberry Sauce (use my homemade version!)
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Dijon Mustard
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Olive oil
- Garlic powder, sea salt
How to make homemade cranberry sauce:
Start by heating up a bag of fresh cranberries on the stove with 1/2 cup maple syrup, juice of 1 orange and 1 tbsp orange zest. As the cranberries start to heat up, mash with a fork. Continually stir as cranberries heat up and thicken. Remove from heat and place in mason jar in the fridge.
How to make blackened chicken:
Start by patting two chicken breasts with a paper towel. Cut chicken breast in half in order to have 4 pieces of chicken. Coat breasts completely on both sides. You want to do an equal mix of 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp sea salt, 1 tsp chili powder and 1 tsp paprika. Then a dash of black pepper on each one. Place on non-stick pan with a little avocado oil to cook on both sides.
- If you want to simplify the salad process, you can buy pre-cooked chicken breast or rotisserie chicken to use here.
- Make the cranberry vinaigrette at the beginning of the week so you can use it all week long!
- Pre-roast the sweet potatoes and Brussels sprouts and store in the fridge to easily add to salads when you’re ready to assemble.
What I used to make this salad:
If you love this salad, you may also enjoy these recipes on One Balanced Life:
Looking for more fall recipes? Try these:
- 2 cups mixed greens
- 1 sweet potato, chopped
- 2 chicken breasts, cut in half
- 2 cups brussels sprouts
- 4 tbsp goat cheese
- 1/4 cup pecan pieces
- 1/2 honeycrisp apple, chopped
- Avocado oil Spray
- For the blackened chicken:
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- dash of pepper
- For the cranberry vinaigrette:
- 1/3 cup homemade cranberry sauce
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp garlic
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (adjust to taste)
- (water to consistency)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut up sweet potato and brussels sprouts. Roast with a little avocado oil spray, salt, pepper and garlic powder for 40 minutes (flipping half way through)
- Prepare chicken by cutting two breasts in half. Mix together seasonings. Coat with chili powder, paprika, sea salt, pepper and garlic powder equally on each breast. Cook on grill pan (or non-stick pan) until fully cooked.
- Prepare cranberry vinagrette by combining all ingredients and mixing: cranberry sauce, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, balsalmic, dijon, garlic & sea salt. Add water to desired consistency. Set aside.
- Cut up apple. set aside.
- Prepare salad by adding greens, chicken, roasted sweet potato and brussels sprouts, apple, pecans and goat cheese. Top with cranberry vinaigrette and mix together.
until next time…