All the flavors of fall in a egg bake that’s perfect to have for breakfast all week! I love making these egg bakes to have to quickly reheat in the morning. They make for a great thing to meal prep at the beginning of the week too! This egg bake has all the delicious ingredients like butternut squash, goat cheese and Italian breakfast sausage with some extra greens from the spinach.
What you need for Butternut Spinach Egg Bake:
- Butternut Squash
- Italian Breakfast Sausage
- Goat Cheese
- Sea salt, pepper, garlic powder
- Avocado oil spray
How do you cook the butternut squash?
I use smaller pieces of butternut squash! Usually I will buy a bag of pre-cut butternut squash and cut those into smaller pieces for this egg bake. I will sauté it in a non stick pan with a little avocado oil spray, sea salt and garlic powder until its fork tender and add that to the dish for the egg bake.
Can I substitute the goat cheese?
Yes! If you don’t like goat cheese or want to make this dairy free, you can leave the cheese out. If you want to substitute the goat cheese for feta cheese or any other, you can do that as well!
Why do I need avocado oil spray?
I like to use the avocado oil spray when I sauté the butternut squash! I also use it to highly grease the bottom of the dish that I use for the egg bake.
Why you’ll love this Butternut Spinach Egg Bake:
- It makes for a great breakfast to meal prep for the week!
- This is made with simple ingredients that will leaving you feeling good after enjoying in the morning.
- Once you make this egg bake, it lasts in the fridge for a couple days!
- The combination of butternut squash, goat cheese and spinach makes for a delicious fall inspired breakfast.
Best way to store Butternut Spinach Egg Bake for the week:
You want to make sure you store your egg bake in a sealed container in the fridge. It’s best to let it cool down before storing it in the fridge. I like to use these containers for easy on the go or these for a variety of size options.
Freezing and reheating your egg bake:
If you want to save half of your egg bake, you can keep it in the freezer and pull it out when you’re ready to enjoy it! If you decide to do that, just wrap each individual piece in plastic wrap and place in a freezer bag. I like to use these! When you’re ready to eat, just place a piece in the fridge for 12+ hrs to defrost. Then, reheat in the morning by heating in the microwave for a minute. Top with avocado and enjoy!
How to make Butternut Squash Spinach Egg Bake:
When you go to add all of the ingredients in your Butternut Squash Spinach Egg Bake, I like to layer all of the ingredients in before adding the whisked eggs. That way, everything is equally distributed throughout the egg bake. I will layer with the breakfast sausage, goat cheese, chopped spinach and butternut squash and then continue to do layers. Then add the eggs on top to completely cover!
What’s the best dish to use?
The best dish to use for making this egg bake is a 9.5 pie dish like this or an 8×8 dish depending on how you would like to serve it during the week.
How long will this last?
You can eat on this egg bake for 4-5 days and it will still be delicious!
How to reheat your egg bake:
When you’re ready to reheat your egg bake in the morning, all you need is take it out of your storage container and place on a plate. Reheat in the microwave for 45 seconds to a minute. Top it with avocado, hot sauce or red pepper flakes.
If you like this recipe, you may also enjoy these breakfast recipes on One Balanced Life:
Do you like to meal prep? Try these recipes:
Butternut Spinach Egg Bake
This Butternut Spinach Egg Bake is perfect to meal prep for the week! The combination of butternut squash baked with breakfast sausage and goat cheese is delicious!
- 10 eggs, whisked
- 1 lb breakfast sausage
- 2 cups butternut squash, small pieces
- 1 cup finely chopped spinach
- 1/4 cup goat cheese crumbles
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Avocado oil spray
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare breakfast sausage according to package.
- Saute butternut squash on the stove with a little avocado oil spray and sea salt. Saute until fork tender.
- In large bowl, whisk 10 eggs. Add sea salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- In pie dish or 8×8, layer the ingredients: breakfast sausage, chopped spinach, butternut squash and goat cheese.
- Pour eggs on top to completely cover.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until top of bake is slightly browned.
until next time…