Easy weeknight dinner are these BBQ Chicken Sweet Potatoes. Not only are they so easy but they are great option when thinking about how you can meal prep items for the week to throw into something easy! With a little preparation, these Stuffed Sweet Potatoes can come together in 5 minutes.
I love a good easy weeknight dinner and these BBQ Chicken Sweet Potatoes are one of my favorites to include in the rotation. Not only are they perfect to meal prep, but they are satisfying and nutritious. Finding meals like this that you can easily make during the week are great to incorporate into your routine. Prepping a batch of shredded crockpot BBQ Chicken is a great way to use it in a variety of ways, including these stuffed sweet potatoes! Have you checked out my blog post on different ways to use shredded crockpot chicken? Check it out here!
What you need to make these BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes:
- Sweet Potatoes
- BBQ Sauce
- Shredded Chicken
- Cilantro, red pepper flakes and onion
How to make these Stuffed Sweet Potatoes:
- Prep the crockpot BBQ Chicken at the beginning of the week by placing 3-4 chicken breasts with a cup of BBQ sauce. I used the Organic BBQ Pineapple sauce from Trader Joe’s for these but like to switch it up! I also love using this lower sugar option. That way you can use it for a variety of different recipes. Another one that I love using it for are the BBQ Chicken Tostadas or BBQ Chicken Pineapple Pizza
- Prep the sweet potatoes. I bake mine at 400 degrees for 30-40 minutes depending on the size. I like to keep an eye on them and once they feel softer, they are good!
- Once you’ve done those two things all you have to do is assemble when the time comes! Everything can be reheated in the microwave, or if that isn’t you’re thing in the oven!
How to make pickled red onions:
Pickled onions add the best flavor to everything, but especially to this burger bowl! Start by chopping up the red onion in half and then into some thin “C” slices. Set aside to make the brine. Take 6oz of water and set to a boil on the stove. Put in 1 tbsp salt with 1 tbsp white sugar into the mason jar with red onion. Pour in the boiled water and then fill the rest of the jar with white vinegar. Place lid on mason jar and give it a spin to let onions soak it up. Store in the fridge for the week!
- When preparing the shredded chicken, the recipe will call for enough to make 5 servings. You obviously don’t need all of that for one sweet potato. So, I recommend using it as prep and make other meals for the week or make 1-2 chicken breasts to serve how many you need!
If you love these, you may also like these recipes on One Balanced Life:
Save and Pin for later!
Make sure to save and pin this recipe for later! Are you following me on Pinterest yet? You can also follow me on Instagram & Facebook, and make sure to leave a star rating and tag me if you make this recipe! xx
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 2-3 chicken breasts, shredded
- 1.5 cup BBQ sauce
- 1/2 cup red onion or pickled onions
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Optional: avocado
- Start by cooking your chicken in the crockpot. Remember, this recipe sets you up to have BBQ chicken prepped for a few meals so it will make quite a bit with 3-4 breasts!
- Mix chicken with 1.5 cups BBQ sauce and let it cook in the crockpot on high for 3-4 hrs. Begin to shred with a fork as you can.
- Cook sweet potatoes by preheating the oven to 400 degrees. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the sweet potato is soft on the outside.
- When you’re ready to assemble your stuffed sweet potatoes, cut sweet potato in half, add desired amount of shredded bbq chicken, diced red onion or pickled red onions and cilantro.
- Add a little more BBQ sauce drizzled on top.
Shredded BBQ Crockpot Chicken will be enough for more than 2 sweet potatoes.
until next time…